Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Breast Cancer Stage IIa (Day 14)

Notice the changes in the title. Stage IIa : the tumor is larger than 2 centimeters but not larger than 5 centimeters and has not spread to the axillary lymph nodes.

My 1st doctor review after the major operation was this morning. The stitches were cut off and some fluid and blood in the empty space between the breast tissue were drained out via needle and syringe.  I was given both a good and a bad news. The histopathology report states the followings which the doctor underline;
1. No invasive carcinoma seen in margin ( no cancer cell on the breast tissue )
2. Lymph node summary : Number involved : 0 ( no cancer cell spread to the Lymph node) Thank God!
3. Estrogen receptor: negative, Progesterone receptor : negative ( cancer cell are not towards hormone receptor, so hormone therapy is not suitable for me)
4. Nottingham prognostic index:2.5 (tumor size 2.5cm)
5. Her2 type of tumor (ER/PR negative, Her2 neu positive) (Bad news for me)

HER2 is a gene that sends control signals to your cells, telling them to grow, divide, and make repairs. To shrink or get rid of the remaining cancer cell i need to be treated with a drug called herceptin which will be injected into my blood veins also called chemotherapy treatment. I read these information from the wed. The doctor only told me that my next appointment will be on 27 September 2010 and he will refer me to the Oncologist at Hospital Likas. Before the doctor starts his treatment tentatively 1st week of October he need to see me.

The treatment will have side effect;
Some Common Side Effects: Chills or fever, Weakness, Nausea, Body pain
Less Common Side Effects: Headache, Abdominal pain, Back pain, Infection, Flu-like symptoms, Diarrhea

I really cannot wait to start with the treatment. I believe mentally i am strong (at the moment), hope it will continue through out the treatment.

2 comments: